Skip To Main Content

Study Permits and Visas

Once you have received your official acceptance letter to the Canadian Accredited Independent Boarding School of your choice, the next step in the process is to apply for your study permit.

The study permit is a government-issued document which allows foreign nationals to study at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada, and you should apply before you travel to Canada.

Read more about the Study permit process on the Government of Canada's website.

Requirements & Considerations

You may Study in Canada if:

  • You are enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)

  • Prove you have enough money to pay for your: tuition fees, living expenses and return transportation

  • Obey the law, have no criminal record

  • Are in good health and get a medical exam (if required)

  • Prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires

To Apply for a Canadian Study Permit you will need:

  • An acceptance letter from your CAIS boarding school

  • A valid passport or travel document (proof of identity)

  • Proof you can support yourself and any family members who come with you while in Canada

  • Pay Study Permit Fee: $150.00

You may also need:

  • A letter of explanation (This letter helps the visa officer to understand why you want to study in Canada and that you know your responsibility as a student)

  • A certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ) is required if studying at a Quebec boarding school

  • A custodian declaration (for minors only)

  • Other Documents (check the visa office instructions for your country for any local requirements)

Lakefield College School Sailing

Special Note - What to Expect When you Arrive in Canada

February 22, 2021 and onwards

People who travel by air, regardless of citizenship, face new public health measures when they arrive in Canada. 

The Government of Canada has introduced measures to prevent further introduction and transmission of COVID-19 and new variants of the virus into Canada.

Stay up to date on Canada’s travel restrictions and requirements:


Rothesay Netherwood School Rafting

Rothesay Netherwood School

Rothesay, New Brunswick

School Link