Canada is a breathtakingly beautiful country known worldwide for its picturesque landscape and safe and peaceful nature.
Why Study in Canada?
Quick Facts about Canada:
- Canada is the second-largest country in the world and has the longest coastline in the world
- Canada's provinces and territories span from the Pacific to the Atlantic Ocean and north to the Arctic Ocean
- Half of the country is covered in forest and more than half of the world's lakes are located in Canada
- Canada is ethnically diverse and home to large immigrant populations from around the world
- Nearly 50% of Canadians were born in another country
- Canada is one of the safest, most culturally accepting and most polite countries in the world
- Canada ranks among the top five countries in the OECD's Better Life Index
- Canada has a stable parliamentary democracy
- The capital city of Canada is Ottawa, ON
- The three largest cities in Canada are Toronto, ON, Montreal, PQ, and Vancouver, BC
Canadian Education Facts:
The education system in Canada runs from September to June and is divided into two levels - Elementary and Secondary
Elementary runs from Kindergarten (4 years old) until Grade 8 (13/14 years old) and Secondary, also known as High School, runs from Grade 9 (14/15 years old) to Grade 12 (17/18 years old)
Canadian public, private and independent schools must follow their province's Ministry of Education mandated curriculum
Differences between Private Schools and Independent Schools
The main differences between Private Schools and Independent Schools are management of school and management of finances.
Private Schools are understood to be for-profit organizations. Private Schools are owned and managed by an owner(s) or a corporation. It is that owner or corporation that decides on where funding goes and/or is used.
Independent Schools are understood to be not-for-profit organizations. Independent Schools are lead by a Head of School and overseen by a Board of Directors. School tuition fees are required for the daily operations of the school.
In Canada, depending on the province in which an independent school is located, they may receive some funding from their provincial government. Oftentimes they are also affiliated with an accrediting body.
95 Independent Schools in Canada are members of Canadian Accredited Independent Schools.
Both Private Schools and Independent Schools are alternatives to Public Schools.
CAIS Boarding Schools
Browse the 27 schools to learn more about Canada's best boarding schools and to explore their diverse and extensive list of offerings. Discover which dynamic school is the perfect fit for you.
Did you Know?
- Hockey is the most popular sport in Canada. It is home to more than 2,800 hockey rinks.
- Canada is famous for its delicious maple syrup, in fact, the province of Quebec produces 77% of the world's maple syrup.
- Two of the world's most famous superheroes were created by Canadian minds - Superman and Wolverine.
You may not know this but many famous musicians and actors are Canadian
- Justin Bieber
- Shawn Mendes
- The Weeknd
- Jim Carey
- Ryan Reynolds
- Ryan Gosling
- Dan and Eugene Levy
Some favourite foods of Canadians
- Montreal Style Bagels
- Peameal Bacon
- Beaver Tails
- Maple Syrup